‘Tis the season to be merry… and energy efficient! What better way to spread holiday cheer than to help your friends and family save energy and money on their electric bills? 2017 has been an exciting year for energy efficient products – we asked our intern, Lindsay, to put together a wish list of her favorite energy efficient gadgets of the season.
- Easybulb Plus: I would love this in my apartment! Controlled by your smart devices, the Easybulb Plus is an energy-efficient, multi-colored bulb that gives you full control of your lights no matter where you are or when. This nine-watt LED smart bulb can last up to 25 years and has voice control features, timers, light dimmers and more. It can even sync to the alarms on your phone and be set to turn on and off at specific times.
- WeMo Insight Switch: The WeMo Insight Switch by Belkin is a simple, easy-to-use Smart Plug that connects to your Wi-Fi network. It gives users the ability to monitor energy usage with real-time feedback about how much power is being used by the connected devices. Really cool! Not only does it control your home remotely, the Smart Plug can also allow you to set up schedules for the devices and appliances plugged in. It can even sync to your Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa!
- Nest: Being the first ENERGY STAR certified thermostat, the Nest has been a go-to in energy efficient products for several years now, and it’s about time that I get one! It’s become a crowd favorite by its ability to continuously learn and adapt to seasonal changes and the daily routines of your household. After just a week, this thermostat programs itself – for example, by automatically lowering the temperature when your family leaves the house and raising it when everyone comes home after school and work. By connecting to your phone, you can track daily energy usage, monitor security features, and find out how you can save more on your next power bill.
- Solar Powered Gizmos: I love all things solar and will take any of these solar powered gadgets! From bike locks and portable chargers, all the way to grills and tents, this list of solar gadgets are all on my wish list.
- ENERGY STAR Certified Appliances and Electronics: Out with the old and in with the new! Did you know that appliances and electronics can account for up to 40 percent of your home energy use? So before you buy just any new refrigerator or television, make sure it is ENERGY STAR certified! Products that earn the trusted ENERGY STAR blue label are certified to meet energy efficiency requirements established by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Here is a guide, provided by ENERGY STAR, to help when looking for new products. I’ll take a fridge and washing machine – thank you!
- The Biggest Gift of All: If you are looking to “win” the holidays by giving the most extravagant gifts, look no further – an electric vehicle is the perfect present for someone special and for me. 😉 From an electric golf cart to a Ford Fusion Energi to a Tesla Model 3, the possibilities are endless! Fueled by electricity, these vehicles give off zero emissions and offer a smooth fun ride. What are you waiting for? I’ll take one of each!
Happy Shopping and Happy Holidays!