Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Health Improvement Pilot Program
About Advanced Energy and the Pilot Program:
Advanced Energy is a nonprofit energy consulting firm located in Raleigh, North Carolina. Our residential team works to make sure that new and existing homes are healthy, safe, comfortable, durable, energy efficient and environmentally responsible.
To further support our efforts, we are conducting a pilot program to study an energy-saving smart home device that helps monitor HVAC filter performance. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that a clogged filter can raise HVAC energy consumption by up to 15%. Clogged filters can also worsen indoor air quality and shorten your HVAC system’s useful life. Therefore, we hope to determine how effective this new device is at reducing energy usage, lowering utility bills and improving air quality.
If your home is selected for the pilot program, here are the steps to follow:
- Receive and Install the Device
- You will receive the smart home device in the mail.
- Simply place the device on your air filter. It will then notify you when the filter needs replacing or if your HVAC system is having problems.
- If you run into any issues, technical support is available.
- Download the Breezi Home App
- The free app keeps you in tune with your HVAC system and will let you know when you need to take action.
- Connect to Smart Home Devices (optional)
- The device comes with a user-friendly interface for communication with you and other smart home technologies, like Alexa.
- Once connected, you can use voice command to check on the health of your HVAC system. For instance, you could ask, “Alexa, how’s the filter in my living room?”
- Provide Feedback
- Over the next year, we’ll request feedback from you, in the form of emails or brief phone calls, on how the device is working.
- We may also request to coordinate a home visit to check the device once it is safe to do so.
We’ll be testing the AirPulse by Breezi to evaluate how effective it is in the real world. This device is like a fitness tracker for your HVAC system. Its goal is to keep track of your HVAC unit’s health and to identify problems before they become a hassle. The AirPulse is designed to tell you when your filter needs replacing and helps you record maintenance. It also connects to other smart home devices to make checking on your HVAC system easy.
By participating in this program, you’ll not only receive the Breezi AirPulse for free but also two $50 Visa gift cards, one after installing the AirPulse, and a second at the end of the program.
Pilot Program Timeline:
- August 2020: Receive and install your AirPulse by Breezi device. Advanced Energy will call to get your first thoughts on the AirPulse and to make sure everything is working as expected. You’ll also receive your first $50 Visa gift card.
- September 2020 – September 2021: You’ll go about your normal routine for the next year. It’s up to you how much, or how little, you engage with the AirPulse. Advanced Energy will work with your utility provider to measure the long-term and seasonal impacts of the device on your energy consumption. We’ll also contact you periodically for your feedback. By participating, you’ll be helping Advanced Energy study how effective HVAC monitors like the AirPulse really are.
- October 2021: The AirPulse is yours to keep! We’ll also send you a second $50 Visa gift card to say, “Thank You!”
The safety and wellness of all participants in the pilot program are our highest priority. Participants will receive the device in the mail with instructions on how to install it on their own. A home visit may also be requested to inspect the device, but only when it is safe to do so.
You can reach Advanced Energy by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also reach out to Breezi at their website: www.breezi.io